One of the first lessons I learned early on in my natural hair journey was this: hair loves moisture! When my hair is well-moisturized, it looks and feels beautiful, healthy, and strong! Using hair care products that promote moisture is definitely a plus, but nothing is really a substitute for choosing quality and keeping best practices. Here are some tips to keep in mind for well-moisturized hair:
- Drink Water! A good rule of thumb to follow is to drink half of your body-weight in water (ounces). Conscience daily water intake promotes good hydrated hair from the inside while wetting hair with a spray bottle (or the like) promotes good hydration on the outside. Both uses of water go hand in hand when it comes to healthy hair.
- Capitalize on Conditioning! A high quality, richly formulated, hydrating conditioner works wonders for dry or damaged hair. Daily use will perpetuate hair’s healthy moisture levels.
- Use Oils! Some oils sit outside the hair strand and function as sealants. They do not provide moisture, but they do lock in hydration! Other oils can penetrate the hair strand and do an excellent job promoting nourishment and repairing damage! These moisturizing and sealant oils are great additions to your natural, toxic-free bathroom cabinet: Unrefined Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, and Jojoba Oil.
- Use Essential Oils! Did you know that some essential oils, like peppermint, provide support to the oil glands maintaining your proper hydration levels? Adding a drop or two of peppermint oil to a high quality shampoo or conditioner will bring balance to your body’s individual hydration needs.
- Turn down the Heat! We can’t avoid all heat, but we can avoid extreme or constant heat. Consider air drying, rollers, or low heat options when possible.
Y’all, this is what I do! Incorporating these simple tips into my own natural hair journey was the best thing I’ve ever done! I said hello to hydration several years ago and haven’t looked back! This is my new normal, and it can be yours too!
Looking for high quality shampoos or conditioners? Look no further! Check out what I use by clicking here. Type conditioner to start your search.
If you’re interested in finding out more about the essential oils I mentioned from these great tips, click here!